Are annual inspections/tune-ups necessary?
All furnace manufacturers recommend annual maintenance to be performed by a qualified Green Apple technician. There is also verbiage in their warranties saying that any damage done to the unit because of lack of maintenance will not be covered.
Does this mean that if you skip a year or two of maintenance that your warranty is now void? Probably not, but the manufacturers still highly recommend it.
It’s like having a yearly prostate exam or physical. Is it necessary? No. Is it beneficial and will issues be caught and addressed before they get worse? Yes.
What is actually done during a furnace tune-up?
Here are some best practices that all of our technicians go by:
- Your venting system should always be checked for blockages and proper slope. This includes a visual inspection, draft inspection, as well as a combustion analysis to check for carbon monoxide as well as other important readings. This step is crucial as it is the only thing standing in the way of your furnace poisoning your household.
- The heat exchanger should always be looked at. This can be done through a combustion analysis and a visual inspection.
- All safety switches (rollouts, high limits, etc) should be tested for proper operation. This step is crucial as it is the only thing standing in the way of your furnace overheating and starting a fire.
- Your burners should be checked for proper ignition and flame.
- The flame sensor and ignition device (ignitor, spark, thermocouple, etc.) should be inspected for cleanliness and proper readings.
- The combustion blower (the thing that pushes your combustion air outside) should be checked for bearing noises and amp draw as well as blockages.
- Your main blower needs to be looked at for cleanliness, proper amp draws, and capacitor readings.
- The drainage system should be inspected and cleaned. Only 90%+ efficient furnaces will need this step.
- All wiring needs to be checked for proper connections and corrosion.
- A temperature rise (and static pressure test if needed) should be performed to measure adequate airflow.
- Gas pressures should also be confirmed.
- Your filter should always be checked for proper installation and cleanliness.
- Green Apple Mechanical NJ are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the New Jersey area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs call toll-free @888-611-7191