Listening to the dripping sounds from a dripping faucet is enough to drive anyone crazy. However, this problem is more than just bothersome. A leaking faucet can waste hundreds of gallons of water over a year, which is expensive and not friendly to the environment. You could also end up with serious water damage if the leak gets worse. This usually indicates a tap that isn’t properly installed, so tightening the gaskets or other parts around it may solve the problem. However, faucet repair can be complicated, so it should be handled by a skilled Green Apple Mechanical plumber.
You might be tempted to swap out the faucet for a new fixture that looks better and won’t leak. Upgrading fixtures can improve functionality and aesthetics in your bathroom, but improper installation can lead to many other problems. Instead of tackling it yourself, contact a Green Apple Mechanical plumber to perform the installation quickly and correctly.
Green Apple Mechanical NJ are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs call toll-free at 888-611-7191
Your furnace is more than 15 years old.
If your furnace is past its 15-year mark and beginning to have maintenance issues, there is a very likely chance it will need to be replaced. It may be working, but it is likely not operating at maximum efficiency and your utility bills are probably at all-time highs as a result.
Furnaces are like cars; the older they are, the more maintenance they need, usually incurring the most breakdowns in the last two years of their lives. If your furnace is roughly 15 to 20 years or older and you have a repair costing more than 15 percent of a new furnace, you should go ahead and replace it (because it is more likely to break down again soon).
Generally speaking, a good rule of thumb is, no matter the age of the furnace, if the cost to repair is 50 percent or more of the cost of a new furnace, you should replace it.
If your furnace is operating with little to no maintenance issues but you’re noticing a higher utility rate and you’d like to get your bills down, there may be some lower cost solutions for you. Some alternative options may be updating your thermostat to a programmable one, cleaning or updating your duct system, purchasing an electric fireplace or portable heater, or just adding some extra blankets around the house. Call our Green Apple Mechanical NJ HVAC experts to help you determine which option is best for you.
Although 15 years is a general rule, your furnace may still have some time left! Most reliable furnaces last between 20 and 30 years, but you can find the recommended lifespan of your furnace in the owner’s manual or by calling the manufacturer with the unit’s model number.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs call Green Apple Mechanical NJ toll-free @ 888-611-7191
- Bad odors – If your disposal has a persistent bad odor even after you’ve rinsed it with soapy water and other cleaners, this may be a sign of a failing unit. A Green Apple Mechanical NJ plumber can check out the unit, remove any trapped matter, or replace the unit if needed.
- Lag time – Your garbage disposal should make quick work of any food matter. If your disposal is taking more than a few minutes to break down food, its blades may be dull. In most cases, you won’t have to replace the unit; you’ll just need a plumber to replace the blades or sharpen them.
- Frequent jamming – If your disposal is jamming even when the amount of food placed in it is small, you’ll need to have your plumber check it out. The problem could be dulled blades, a jam, or insufficient power.
- Screeching, metal-on-metal noise – If your disposal is making a metal-on-metal noise when you use it, it’s likely that some of its parts are out of alignment or are moving incorrectly. A Green Apple plumber can give the device a tune-up and get it back to normal function.
- Water leaks – If your garbage disposal is leaking water, it can be a sign that seals within the device have broken down or that there’s a crack in the device. A Green Apple plumber can evaluate the disposal and fix broken seals or replace a cracked device.
- If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your plumbing or HVAC needs call Green Apple toll-free @ 888-611-7191
Stop heat being lost up the chimney. It’s now fairly common to have fireplaces that are merely decorative. If you’re not using yours then you should consider a chimney balloon, say, experts. “There’s an amazing amount of heat that can be lost through an open fireplace”. A chimney balloon, made from a special laminate, can be bought for a reasonable price and works by being placed inside the chimney hole, just out of sight. It’s then inflated until it completely shuts out any incoming cold air or escaping heat. Just be sure not to start a fire without removing it. There are also woolen chimney insulators on the market. But again, make sure you remove them before starting any fires.
Green Apple Mechanical NJ are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the New Jersey area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority, If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs call toll-free at 888-611-7191
The first sign of ice forming in pipes is reduced flow at faucets. So if the flow slows to trickle during a cold snap, or if you suspect your pipes are vulnerable, take action. Here are a few things you can do:
- Turn up the heat.
- Set up fans to blow heat into cold rooms.
- Open vanity or cabinet doors so warm air can reach the pipes under sinks.
- If you have exposed pipes inside closets or pantries, leave doors open.
- Disconnect garden hoses from outdoor faucets. Even “frost-proof” faucets can burst if a hose is connected.
- Keep the garage door closed.
- If you have reduced water flow, heat the most vulnerable pipes (usually in basements and crawl spaces or near exterior walls) with a hairdryer. Leave the faucet on while you apply heat. As you melt ice, the flow will increase.
- Green Apple Mechanical NJ are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs call toll-free @ 888-611-7191
With the extreme cold temperatures, your furnace is probably working overtime. The constant churning can make it tough for heating systems to keep up with the demand.
The number one culprit for winter heating problems is a bad furnace filter. It’s so important that furnace filters are changed frequently and your furnace is inspected annually.
Green Apple Mechanical NJ recommends that you should be able to see through your furnace filter. If you can’t, it’s time to replace it.
A bad filter can essentially clog up your system, causing it to break down.
“What happens is this is called a limit switch and it reacts to temperature. If you’re not moving enough air across the furnace, this will open up and shut everything off. It’s for safety and that’s because of a dirty furnace filter. The part fails.
Another common issue involves newer, high-efficiency furnaces which have a pipe that comes outside the home. If anything gets stuck inside that piping, like a small animal or even snow, it can shut your furnace down. So you’ve got to keep that area clear.
And when your furnace is working extra hard in the cold weather, it’s also good to cut off air flow. Keep your doors closed as much as possible.
You can seal off any drafty windows with plastic, and add little sweeps along the edge of doors to help keep the cold air out. If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs call toll-free at 888-611-7191
Keep garage doors closed, especially if there are water supply lines in the garage.
Open kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors to allow warmer air to circulate around the plumbing, especially if your sinks are on an exterior wall. (If you have small children, be sure to remove any harmful cleaners and household chemicals.)
Let the cold water drip from a faucet served by exposed pipes. Running water through the pipe—even at a trickle—helps prevent pipes from freezing.
Keep the thermostat set to the same temperature during day and night. Again, during a cold snap is not the time to set back the thermostat at night to save a few bucks on your heating bill.
If you plan to be away during cold weather, leave the heat on in your home, set to a temperature no lower than 55° F.
For the long term, add insulation to attics, basements, and crawl spaces. Insulation will maintain higher temperatures in those areas. And to prevent drafts, seal cracks and openings around windows, doors, and at sill plates, where the house rests on its foundation.
Green Apple Mechanical NJ are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs call Green Apple toll-free @ 888-611-7191