Or Call 201-300-5554
In The Know
UP TO THE MINUTE NEWS
So, how frequently should you change your air filter? The answers are: it depends.
Typical recommendations range from every 30 days for cheaper fiberglass filters (which often don’t do a great job of filtering), to as long as 6 months for higher-end pleated filters. These estimates assume average use and take into account the type and size of your filter.
A general rule of thumb for pleated air filters is to replace your filter every 90 days. As your filter traps more dirt, dust, and allergens from the air, filter efficiency decreases. Find out below if you should be replacing your filter more often.
Does someone in your home have asthma and/or allergies?
Those with asthma and/or allergies are much more sensitive to airborne particles than those without. If you have asthma- or allergy-sufferer at home, change your filter every 6 weeks to ensure indoor air quality is at its best.
Do you have pets?
Cats and dogs shed and have odors that can build up in your space, making it necessary to change your filter every 2 months. Generally, cats and dogs shed most when winter turns to spring and summer turns to fall, which are key times to replace your filter.
Do you have young children?
Superior indoor air quality is especially important with kids around. Keep your home clean and air quality under control by replacing your vacuum filter every 2-3 months.
Green Apple Mechanical NJ are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs call toll-free @888-611-7191Read More
It’s mid-winter, and if you didn’t schedule regular maintenance for your furnace back in the fall, you may think it’s too late to bother. You can wait until the next fall to have it done.
But it isn’t too late! Furnace maintenance needs to be done annually. Although it’s always best to have the furnace maintained in fall to beat out the first cold days of winter, it’s better to have it done late than to skip it entirely. Furnace maintenance isn’t a luxury or “bonus” for the heating system—it’s essential. Call Green Apple Mechanical NJ today to arrange for a tune-up and inspection of your furnace.
Why Furnace Maintenance Is So Vital
What makes regular maintenance for a furnace so important that we stress you have it done even in later winter?
- Safety: Safety always comes first for a heating system. The majority of furnaces used in the area are natural gas-powered, and any device using natural gas has the potential to become hazardous without routine inspections. During furnace maintenance, experienced technicians will check the gas line and the heat exchanger to find out if there’s a danger of carbon monoxide leaks. If the technicians find anything wrong, they can arrange for the repair work (or possibly system replacement) necessary to keep the furnace working at the highest levels of safety. Yes, electric furnaces can pose hazards as well, such as starting electric fires from bad wiring.
- Warranty protection: The warranties for most furnaces have a condition that the unit must receive regular professional maintenance. If the furnace isn’t maintained, the warranty is voided, and you may end up paying for repairs or replacements that would otherwise be covered. Maintenance keeps you protected from manufacturer faults.
- Repair prevention: Here’s a sobering fact about furnace operation—around 85% of the repairs a furnace may need during its service life come from lack of maintenance. By keeping up with regular maintenance, you eliminate 85% of the repairs you’ll need to pay for. I.e. almost all of them. You’ll save money and convenience.
- Extended system life: How long do you want your furnace to last? “As long as possible!” is probably your answer. Maintenance is the best way to see that you enjoy those years from your furnace. Without maintenance, most furnaces won’t even make it to half their manufacturer’s expected lifespan, and no “repair” is costlier than having to schedule an early furnace replacement.
- Keep heating costs down: Each year a furnace runs, it accumulates wear and tears from the strain of working and from dust and dirt. This lowers the efficiency of the furnace as it must consume more power to run than it normally does.
- Green Apple Mechanical NJ are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs call toll-free @888-611-7191
The Superbowl is the most-watched show in the history of television. And this year promises to have just as many, if not more, viewers.
If you host a party for the Super Bowl the number of guests watching the game at your home will certainly be far fewer. But even a small number of extra people using your “super bowl” and other household plumbing fixtures will likely have your plumbing working overtime. A few simple steps can go a long way (quite a few yards, even!) in preventing unexpected problems during the big game.
- First and foremost, always know where your main shut off valve is located in case something does go wrong. If your home is on a city water supply line, the valve is usually located near the water meter or near an exterior access point of the home’s crawl space or basement. Homes using well water usually have the shut-off valve on or near the well pump.
- Check the drains in sinks, showers, and tubs. Slow drainage can be a sign of a clog.
- Keep your dishwasher clean and drain lines clear by running it empty with a cup of vinegar in the bottom. Do this every few months.
- Check water lines and pipes for leaks. Also, check for damp spots on walls that could indicate a leak.
- Avoid putting fibrous (stringy) or fatty foods and grease in the kitchen garbage disposal.
- Place a garbage can in the bathroom to help prevent guests from flushing tissues, hand wipes, and hygiene products down the toilet.
- Use high-quality toilet paper which dissolves easily and is less likely to create clogs than cheap, coarse paper.
- Place filters in drains, particularly those in the bathroom to prevent clogs from the buildup of hair and other debris.
If you do these things a few days prior to the game, you will have plenty of time to have any concerns addressed by a Green Apple Mechanical NJ plumber before you have a crowded home. And remember, regular maintenance on your plumbing system will go a long way in preventing problems especially when you have a house full of guests.
Green Apple Mechanical NJ are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the New Jersey area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs call toll-free at 888-611-7191Read More
Green Apple Mechanical is a Family owned and operated company, with the environment in mind, we are your one-stop shop for heating, air conditioning, and plumbing services
It all starts with a personal touch, immediate availability, taking the stress away from you.
Our years of experience take you beyond problem-solving and into avoiding future problems altogether by educating you about how better you can maintain your equipment, prepare for the changing seasons and how best to handle machines during off seasons.
Emergency Is What We Do Best!!
We are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week, rain or shine, snow or heat wave, holidays or weekdays – we are here to assist you whenever you need help, we know machines tend to break at the worst possible time, Thanksgiving – we’ve been there, middle of a snowstorm – that’s the time the boiler loves to break down, we’ve dealt with that too, a 5 day heat scorcher, AC gives up life – we know and we have been there to cool back your home and family.
We provide instant relief when it hurts the most, our phone operators take service order at any time and connect you with one of our team members who know how to calm you down with a perfect solution you will not have to wait long for to come.
We’ve been taking service calls in northern New Jersey for years, we know the terrain, weather-related problem, style of home structures, we know the weak spots, the equipment and there for can provide the fastest solution to the problem. Our summers are extremely hot and humid, our winter can be brutal and your home needs to weather it all. Our next job after the fix is alert you about year-round maintenance.